Monday, March 14, 2011

Lord, if you had been there...

Wow... what a topic for yesterday's sermon.  Admittedly, something that goes through my mind once a day-  Lord, if you'd been there, I would have two baby girls instead of one.  Lord, if you'd been there, I could have seen Olivia grow up to be a sweet and sassy toddler.  Lord, if you'd been there...  I could go on forever. 

The story is of Mary and Martha and their interactions with Jesus when they send Jesus a message about the illness of their brother, Lazarus and the conversation between them after he has passed away.  At different times, both Mary and Martha say- Lord, if you'd been there, my brother wouldn't have died.  I can so imagine the depth of emotion in that sentence- the wishing and wishing and lack of understanding about why these things have to happen.

But,  perhaps like the Israelites leaving Egypt, maybe I wouldn't have been content with just one miracle, and would have continued to expect the Lord to intervene in every rocky circumstance.  Maybe I would have expected a "perfect" life.  And like the speaker said, Jesus didn't come to give us a nice life.  He came to give us a new life... and when that day comes I'll get to snuggle right up with my baby girl. 

2 comments:

  1. i am in awe katie. the depth of this is beyond words to me. you are an amazingly strong mama. keep soaking in the truth! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Very inspiring words. I have likened myself to the Israelites coming out of Egypt more times than I care to count. Found your blog from a post on 2peas nsbr board. Thanks for being so open and honest!

    ReplyDelete